Wow, it is almost Wednesday already? Since the beginning of November, my little girl started taking piano lessons on Monday evenings, which means we would grab something fast for dinner, or I would cook something in the crock-pot so dinner time is not so rushed. Tuesday nights I would try to cook something hubby and little girl really enjoy so the family can have a more “homey” meal.
If you follow Weeknite Meal’s FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/weeknitemeals), you would know my lovely neighbor brought over a bunch of HUGE lemons last week. I have always been a fan of smaller lemons with thin peels, they just seem juicier and easier to work with. So when these GIANT ones came along, my initial reaction was “Oh I bet they are going to be all dry inside, and the thick skin would make them hard to work with…” Boy was I wrong! Each lemon yield about 1/3 cup of juice, and they are so easy to squeeze! Little girl and I made frozen lemonade, regular lemonade, and for tonight’s dinner, I decided to try my hand at Asian Style Lemon Fish. The dish turned out very delicious if I may say so, little girl told me she loves it equally as much as the Sweet and Sour fish fillet (http://weeknitemeals.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/sweet-and-sour-fried-fish-fillets/). Hope you will give it a try also!
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 white fish fillets with firm flesh
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- veg oil for pan frying
- 2 cloves of garlic, Minced
- 1 stalk of green onions, sliced
- 2 hot pepper, seeded (optional)
for the sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 1/5 cup lemon juice
- 1 slice of ginger
- 3 Tbsps white sugar
- 2 Tsps flour, dissolved with spoonfuls of water
- 2 tsps cornstarch, dissolved with little water
- 2 pinch of turmeric (Indian spice, just for coloring)
- To make the sauce:
- Boil water, sugar, lemon juice, chicken powder, turmeric together, once boiling, turn down the heat to simmer, add flour mixture, garlic, green onions and ginger, simmer for 15 minutes.
- To cook the fish:
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag, toss the fish fillets in, close the bag well and toss around to cover the fish.
- Pre-heat some oil in a skillet, pan-fry fish over medium heat until they’re done (around 4-5 minutes per side). Bring the fillets out and drain oil onto paper towel if your prefer.
- Mix corn starch into sauce mixture, stir until thickens.
- Drizzle sauce over the pan fried fish fillets, serve with rice.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Unplugged